Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin that keeps your nerves and red blood cells healthy. It is responsible for aiding the function of several critical body processes. It is possible for the body to develop a vitamin B12 deficiency. This deficiency is usually reported with symptoms of fatigue.
Strict vegetarians, heavy drinkers and smokers, pregnant and breast-feeding women, and the elderly usually require vitamin B12 supplements. Sometimes our body, mainly our digestive system, is not able to absorb this vitamin well. This can happen when a person has pernicious anemia, celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, bacteria growth in the small intestine, or a parasite. People suffering from these conditions may need vitamin B12 supplements as well.
A deficiency in vitamin B12 can result in a host of illnesses like anemia, fatigue, weakness, constipation, as well as loss of appetite, weight loss, depression, and poor memory, soreness of the mouth, asthma, vision problems, and a low sperm count. However, vitamin B12 deficiency is rare as the liver stores enough reserves to last a couple of years.
The Top 5 Health Benefits of Vitamin B12
- It is needed to convert carbohydrates into glucose in the body, thus leading to energy
production and a decrease in fatigue and lethargy in the body.
- It helps in healthy regulation of the nervous system, reducing depression, stress, and brain shrinkage.
- It helps maintain a healthy digestive system. Vitamin B12 also protects against heart disease by curbing and improving unhealthy cholesterol levels, protecting against stroke and high blood pressure.
- It is essential for healthy skin, hair, and nails. It helps in cell reproduction and constant
renewal of the skin.
- Vitamin B12 helps protect against cancers including breast, colon, lung, and prostate
If you think that you need to receive a B12 injection in Alpharetta, Georgia, then ask Dr. Harvey, Dr. Choy, and Dr. Baugham about it today. Our dentists at Don Harvey Dental will be happy to help you.