One of the most important procedures that occurs in your jaw is via a ball-and-socket joint known as your temporomandibular joint. Temporomandibular joints, also called TMJ’s, are responsible for the very movements of your mouth, and function to aid in eating chewing and speaking properly. However, they can be easily damaged. Fortunately, if you do suffer from a TMJ disorder, it can be treated. Listed below are common TMJ disorder treatments:
– Heat and ice packs have been shown to help alleviate pain and inflammation associated with TMJ disorders.
– Numerous meditative therapies including yoga, relaxing music, and biofeedback have been shown to help relieve stress associated with jaw pressure and TMJ disorders.
– Avoiding tough and chewy foods can help diminish numerous symptoms associated with TMJ disorders.
– If you are suffering from a TMJ disorder, it is important to avoid chewy products such as chewing gum.
– Numerous exercises can be given by your dentist to help strengthen your jaw.
– To help alleviate pressure associated with jaw pain and a TMJ disorder, your dentist can assist you with night guards and bite plates.
If you are interested in a treatment for a TMJ disorder from Don Harvey Dental Comprehensive Dentistry at our dentist office in Alpharetta, GA, call us at 770-343-6565. Dr. Harvey and our team look forward to fixing your jaw and smile.